Design by: P.Truscott
© P. Truscott and Holymoorside History Society 2009
A Brief History
Holymoorside and Walton
As a village, Holymoorside has been in existence rather less than 200 years, and in the respect is unusual as almost all the present villages and towns in England were in existence as villages or hamlets by the Norman Conquest in 1066. It is believed to have developed in the first place just as places like Cromford and Belper, following the introduction into Derbyshire of cotton spinning and the factory system, during the late 1700s by Richard Arkwright, Jedadiah Strutt and others.
Holymoorside today is usually associated with the parish of Walton, but its early history is more closely linked with the manor and parish of Brampton, and only the portion of the village to the east of the River Hipper lies in the old township of Walton.
Both Brampton and Walton lie within the Scarsdale Hundred, which is one of the six ancient divisions of the county, dating back many centuries. The Doomsday Book showed Waltune (Walton) in the King’s ownership; later, in the 14th century, it became the property of the ancient family of Breton. About the end of the century the estate passed in parts to the Foljambe families. The Foljambes eventually possessed the whole of the estate, and, in 1633, Sir Frances Foljambe finally sold the estate to Sir Arthur Ingram.
In 1812 the estate was offered for sale, and among the items described in the sale catalogue were: Holymoorside Cotton Mill, the dam and adjacent fields. It is reported that the greater part of the estate was purchased by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, of Wingerworth, and that he later resold in 1821 to the Reverend Richard Turbutt, of Ogstan. However, some 550 acres in Walton were still owned by the Hunloke family in 1849, and it appears that only part of the Hunlocke purchase was passed to the Turbutts.
|Brief History Part One|
|About the Village Today|
|The Way Forward|
|Beating the Bounds|
|The Bulls Head|
|Views Around Village|